Crohn's Crusaders Mission

On June the 4th, 2009, the Crohn's Crusaders will begin their challenge of riding the entire Tour de France route, stage for stage, to raise money and awareness for Crohn's Disease.

Even though I haven't touched a bike for at least six years I thought I'd join the Crohn's Crusaders and give the Tour de France a bash too. This blog will detail my account of the massive challenge we set out to achieve.

2009 Tour de France Route

2009 Tour de France Route

Friday, January 30, 2009

I can't find my ankles...

After 30 hours of travel, two stop overs, minimal sleep, numerous aeroplane meals and two of the fattest cankles I have ever had in my life we made it to Rome.

Our tour start was not without its issues though. For some reason we thought that we’d be able to smuggle an extra 40 kilo’s onto the plane, even though a person’s allowable limit is 30kg and we were already given 10 extra kilo’s in sponsorship. So when Emirates kindly told us that it would cost an extra $2800 to get our luggage on the plane we decided to purge. Thank god Mum, Dad, Cait, Dale and Steve where there. They scored 10 kilo’s each to take home.

It took us over two hours to check our baggage in. So I don’t know why Damian thought he would attempt the same trick with carry on, trying to sneak 30kg in the cabin when the limit was seven. Another quick purge of 15kg and we were on our way.

But we’re here now and all is good. Our bikes are safely stored in the hotel cellar, our 10 items of baggage strewn across our hotel room and we’ve collapsed in a heap. Our first adventure is tomorrow, Damian’s press conference.

1 comment:

  1. but how will you get all your shopping home?? chuck the lycra, keep the manolos...

    ReplyDelete